Wednesday, August 4, 2010

summertime realization

I have been fortunate this summer to spend some time with relatives from other states. One of them even told me he had read the blog. Honestly, that was probably one of the biggest shocks this summer. Anyhow, as I reflect on my extended family and how great they are, I realize they are really great! (I know, I just said that). But I was thinking about them, different cousins, aunts, uncles, and I woke up to the fact that even if they weren't my family, I'd still want to hang out with them. Play games with them. Watch tv late into the night with them. It's awesome that I can randomly text my cousin in Tennessee about something. And then again, it's awesome that I can watch tv at midnight with my Ohio cousin while waiting for the benadryl to kick in for Matthew. I really am fortunate. I never really grew up seeing my cousins often. yes, my cousin in Tennessee used to live nearby, but she was a whole lifetime ahead of me. Ok, not really, but when she got married, I was 10'ish. My other cousins lived in Ohio and we didn't see them that often, and they were older as well. Now that I am old like the rest of my family (ha ha, right??), I can appreciate hanging out, touring around, Facebooking with them all. Steve's cousins are in Germany. He doesn't email them. I don't even know if they facebook. Is there a german facebook version? I really want our boys to be aware of family ties and how important family is to us. Even close friends can be family. It's what you make important that becomes important.

No comments:

Post a Comment